Instagram is a critical part of many brands’ social media strategy. Until recently, it’s been difficult to track the rate of change and improvement with your Instagram account. Instagram analytics provide insight into who your followers are, when they’re active online, and how many people view each post. These insights are valuable to understand who your followers are and what posts drive the most engagement. Finding out what content is working the best — from videos to hashtags — can help you shape your social media strategy on Instagram. With the right tools, you can track analytics on Instagram and find the best ways to drive engagement with your customers.
Analytics for Instagram measure several important metrics that are incredibly useful for business. These include follower demographics, audience growth, engagement, hashtags, and top posts.
- Follower demographics: Business Instagram users can use follower demographics to track the age, gender, and geography of the people that are viewing, liking, and sharing a post. Geography can be especially important to find out if your viewers are in your home country.
- Audience growth : tracking the amount of people that follow you and that you follow over a specific period. This allows you to track whether your brand is gaining followers and at what rate.
- Engagement: With the engagement feature, you can see how many people interacted with a particular post by day, week, month, etc. With the available charts, you can also see the number of comments, likes, and shares and the percentage of engagement over time.
- Hashtag Statistics: Users can view which hashtags were the most popular — overall and by individual post. Instagram lists the hashtags that were used the most and the ones that drew the most engagement.
- Top posts: Instagram keeps a record of your account’s top post. You can view the lifespan of the post as well as what percentage of your audience is engaging with a particular post.
Using Instagram analytics tools to measure the metrics of your posts can help you leverage the results and drive engagement. Learning about the demographics and behavior of your brand’s audience helps you create relevant and timely posts. The free Instagram Analytics are part of Instagram Business accounts and help brands see what content gets the most engagement, learn the best times to publish, find brand influencers, and predict user engagement. There are also several free tools out there to help you track and leverage Instagram’s insights in addition to the ones within the app. The best Instagram analytics for business tools provide additional insight into your Instagram account and its followers, providing your brand the information it needs to boost engagement.
- Pixlee’s Free Instagram Analytics Tool: Pixlee’s Instagram Analytics Tool provides detailed weekly Instagram Analytics free that are emailed directly to you. Pixlee’s tool helps you monitor your brand performance through hashtag statistics and tracking, identify social media influencers and brand advocates, and identify top performing content.
- Locowise: The Instagram Analyzer from Locowise offers a quick overview of your Instagram account and performance. It provides basic metrics that help you track follower growth and engagement.
- Social Rank: Social Rank’s follower-central service, allows you to filter your brand’s followers based on location, keyword, most engaged, and other criteria, allowing you to plan future content based on your follower demographics.
- Union Metrics: Union Metrics’ free tool uses an algorithm that helps brands find the best time to post on Instagram. It also provides metrics on which hashtags to use, what content performs best, and which of your followers are your top fans.
- Squarelovin: Squarelovin is a free desktop tool that provides key analytics such as likes and comments, the best performing content and times to post, demographics and followers, and even the Instagram filters that work best for engagement. You can see analytics overall and for specific posts.
Understanding Instagram’s analytics is important for brands so that they can identify the strengths and weaknesses of their social media strategy. By tracking follower demographics, top posts, and social media influencers, your brand can figure out what your main audience is and how to best target them. Follower growth and engagement help your brand to calibrate its social media strategy and to identify the best type of content to post and share.