The 2016 Internet Trends that Brands Need to Know
Mary Meeker is ready with her 2016 internet trends report, which she is delivering today at this year's Code Conference. At 213 pages, there's a ton of data, but here are the 6 takeaways that all brands need to know.
1. Millennials make up 27% of the population and their spending power should rise significantly over the next 10-20 years. The best way for brands to communicate with Millennial customers is on the Internet and through social media.
2. The Internet as a retail distribution channel is becoming more powerful. Ecommerce makes up 10% of total retail sales, up from under 2% sixteen years ago. Ecommerce as a channel is expected to grow.
3. Consumers are sharing photos heavily on social platforms. Increased smartphone usage is leading to more storytelling, creativity, and sharing among customers.
4. Visual social platforms are generating the most engagement among Millennials. Generation Z communicates best with images. Brands active on these more visual platforms should expect to see higher levels of engagement.
5. Video is becoming increasingly sophisticated and the number of user-generated videos posted online by consumers is growing. Customers are creating and sharing a lot of video content that brands could leverage.
6. Yet, branded online video ads are not as effective as they could be. In order to make your brand’s video ads resonate with consumers, try focusing on creating more authentic content.